There is nothing like the taste of sweet summer Ontario strawberries. Even the smell is irresistible – it carries me back to my days as a carefree child, sitting at the counter while my mom hulled these addictive red berries by the kitchen sink. I still eat them like they’re candy.
It’s no secret that berries are good for you, and strawberries are no exception. Read on to find out why strawberries are considered a nutritional powerhouse.
5 reasons why strawberries will boost your health
1. They are high in antioxidants. According to WHFoods, they’re rated the fourth highest in antioxidants out of all the fruits, only to be beaten by blackberries, cranberries and raspberries. Antioxidants play a role in keeping our cardiovascular system in tip top shape
2. They’re a great source of vitamin C, which plays a large part in keeping our immune system strong and healthy. Vitamin C can also help fight stress.
3. Strawberries contain magnesium, a mineral that helps our body produce energy and maintain strong bones and healthy teeth.
4. Because they contain potassium, strawberries can help your muscles and nerves function properly, lower your risk of high blood pressure and can help your body maintain healthy electrolyte levels.
5. Given their high antioxidant and anti inflammatory benefits, strawberries are considered a cancer-fighting food.
Did you know
• There are more than 600 varieties of strawberries
• The average strawberry has 200 seeds
• Madame Tallien, an important social figure during the French Revolution, purportedly bathed in strawberries to keep her skin soft. It’s believe 22 pounds of fresh strawberries were added to her bath.
• Strawberries were once thought to be an aphrodisiac (maybe they are – you give it a shot and let us know!)
Do you also love strawberries?