Mushrooms are delish! I love them – sauteed, in soup, on pizza, even raw. One day I hope to be able to forage around the Canadian wilderness and pick out the edibles from the poisonous, take my basket of goods home and cook ‘em up for dinner.
And you know what else if so awesome about mushrooms? They’re sooooo good for you. Read on for reasons why you MUST include mushrooms in your diet.
5 ways mushrooms will boost your health
1. Mushrooms contain antioxidants, which is what helps your body fight off free radicals and may help decrease your risk of cancer. Portobella mushrooms contain the highest amount of antioxidants, followed by white button mushrooms.
2. One hundred grams of crimini and shiitake mushrooms contain 45 per cent or more of the daily recommended amount of selenium. A heightened level of selenium will help protect you against bladder cancer.
3. Crimini mushrooms contain lots of phytonutrients, helping keep our immune system healthy and strong.
4. They’ll help boost your heart health because they contain vitamin B1 and B6.
5. According to Mushrooms Canada, “Mushrooms contain conjugated linoleic acid; and CLA suppresses a natural substance in the body called aromatase. By blocking aromatase, physicians can reduce the levels of circulating estrogen in post-menopausal women. That is important because, according to the Canadian Cancer Society, high levels of estrogen are associated with a higher risk of breast cancer.”
Did you know?
• One portabella mushroom has as much potassium as a banana
• Mushrooms are grown year-round in Canada
• They’re an edible fungus
• The Egyptians thought eating mushrooms would make them immortal – and they weren’t even available for the common folk to eat!
• People who forage for mushrooms are known as mycophagists
• They can be used to dye wool and other fibres (What?! That’s crazy!)
• China is the world’s largest commercial producer of mushrooms
• ‘Shrooms don’t require any sunlight to grow
• A baked potato topped with sauteed mushrooms is ridiculously delicious
5 mouth-watering mushroom recipes
1. Marinated Mushrooms
2. Lots of Mushrooms Lasagna
3. Stuffed Portabella Pizza (from Oh She Glows)
4. Mushroom Walnut Pesto Tart (from Oh She Glows)
5. Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup (from Joy the Baker)
How do you most enjoy mushrooms?