Wallpaper 101: How to hang wallpaper

Ready to update your decor with wallpaper? Learn how to hang wallpaper like a pro.

Wallcovering words you need to know

Wallcovering words you need to know
Directional print: Pattern on a wallpaper or border that should be installed in a particular up-and-down orientation.
Dry hanging: Method of hanging wall coverings in which the adhesive is applied to the wall rather than the wall covering.
Plumb line or plumb bob: Weighted string used to produce a vertical chalk line.

Pre-pasted: Wall covering that has had adhesive applied to the back of it by the manufacturer. They must be soaked in water or activator to activate the paste.
Repeat: The vertical distance from the centre of one motif on the pattern to the centre of the next.
Seam: The butted edges where two strips meet.
Seam roller: Used to smooth down the seams, press out any air bubbles and adhere the wall covering.
Smoother or smoothing brush: Used to smooth out wrinkles or air bubbles.
Strippable: Wall covering that can be peeled off the wall leaving almost no paste or adhesive or damage to the surface.
Substrate: The backing that is laminated to the underside of wall coverings ranges from woven or nonwoven fabrics to lightweight paper.
Unpasted: Wallpaper to which paste must be rolled or brushed on during the installation process.
Wall covering: Applied to walls for decoration and to hide imperfections. May be made from various materials such as paper and natural or synthetic fibres.
Wallpaper: Strictly speaking, decorative paper that has a paper backing, but the term is often used to describe all wall coverings.
Wallpaper primer: A sealant (sometimes referred to as size) made specifically for the application of wallpaper. It prevents the underlying wall from becoming damaged and also allows you more time to position the paper during installation.


  • 1
  • 2
All rights reserved. TVA Group Inc. 2015