Photography by Ryan Brook/TC Media
- Notebook (approx 20 x 26 cm/8 x 10½ inches)
- 4 felt sheets (23 x 30 cm/9 x 12 inches each)
- Pencil, ruler and scissors
- Glue stick and hot glue gun
How to make a fringed notebook:
1. Place notebook on one felt sheet and trace with pencil; using scissors, cut along pencil lines, setting aside scraps. Repeat with second felt sheet.
2. Using glue stick, generously apply glue to front cover of notebook, especially at edges. Align edges of trimmed felt piece with edges of front cover of notebook; adhere felt. Repeat with second piece of felt and back cover of notebook. Set aside.
3. Mark length of notebook on remaining two felt sheets and trim, discarding scraps. Measure and mark three lines lengthwise on felt, each 5.5 cm (2¼ inches) apart. Cut along marked lines to make four strips from each sheet.
4. Create fringe by snipping into strips at 5 mm (¼-inch) intervals, stopping cuts 5 mm (¼ inch) from top of each strip.
5. Using hot glue gun, apply glue along top edge of one strip of fringe. Adhere strip to front of notebook, with fringe side aligned with edge closest to book opening. Repeat three times, overlapping glued edge of previous strip with fringe of next strip, to create layers (top of final strip should meet spine of notebook). Repeat with four remaining strips on back of notebook.
6. Trim one long scrap of felt from Step 1 to length of notebook. Apply hot glue along edges; centre strip over spine and adhere, overlapping on front and back of notebook.
Do you love crafts? Sign up for our free newsletter, Get Crafty!