This recipe makes 12 cups servings
|Per 1 tbsp (15 mL) : about||-|
|total fat||0 g|
|sat. fat||0 g|
- Portion size: six 2-cup (500 mL) jars
These colourful vegetables look best when all the pieces are uniformly cut. Look for a white wine vinegar that has 6 per cent acetic acid indicated on the label, such as Maille.
- 2-1/2 cups 2-1/2cupswhite wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupswhite wine
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupswater
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupgranulated sugar
- 4 tsp 4tsppickling salt
- 3 cups 3cupsdiced peeled eggplant
- 3 cups 3cupscauliflower floretcauliflower florets
- 2-1/2 cups 2-1/2cupsgreen beangreen beans, cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) pieces
- 2 cups 2cupschopped oniononions
- 2 cups 2cupseach chopped sweet red and green pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupschopped carrotcarrots
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupschopped celery
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspdried oregano
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tsphot pepper flakes
- Spice Bag:
- 4 4cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 3bay leafbay leaves
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcoriander seeds
- 2 tsp 2tspfennel seeds
- 1 tsp 1tsppeppercorns
Spice Bag: In square of cheesecloth, tie together garlic, bay leaves, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and peppercorns.
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine vinegar, wine, water, sugar, salt and spice bag. Bring to boil; boil until sugar and salt are dissolved, about 5 minutes.
Add eggplant, cauliflower, green beans, onions, red and green peppers, carrots and celery. Bring to boil; boil, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Into each of six 2-cup (500 mL) canning jars, place 1/4 tsp (1 mL) oregano and pinch hot pepper flakes. Using slotted spoon, fill with vegetables to within 3/4 inch (2 cm) of rim. Strain liquid through fine strainer; add enough to cover vegetables, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) headspace.
Cover with prepared lids. Screw on bands until resistance is met; increase to fingertip tight. Boil in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2008