Puttanesca (pronounced "poot-tah-NEHS-kah") is a spicy Italian tomato sauce generally served with pasta, but we love it as a base for homemade pizza, too. Though anchovies and spicy pepperoncini bring big flavour to the dish, it's the quality tomatoes that truly make it fantastico.
- Prep time 5 minutes
- Total time 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 anchovy fillets , finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 398 mL cans Mutti Finely Chopped Tomatoes (Polpa)
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , torn
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons pepperoncini piccante
In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook anchovies and garlic, stirring, for 15 to 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pepperoncini.
Makes 2 1/4 cups.