Apricot Oat and Bran Muffins
This recipe makes 12 muffins servings
|Per muffin: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat 38||1 g|
|274 md sodium||-|
- Portion size: 12 muffins
Last fall some nurse colleagues and I took a professional-development course after work. To tide us over until dinner, we took turns bringing muffins to share. Here's an adaptation of the ones I liked best.
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupnatural bran
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupswhole wheat flour
- 1 cup 1cupquick cooking rolled oats, (not instant)
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupwheat germ
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspbaking soda
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1 cup 1cupbuttermilk
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuppacked brown sugar
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupvegetable oil
- 1 1eggeggs
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupchopped dried apricotdried apricots
In bowl, mix bran with 1/2 cup (125 mL) boiling water; let cool.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, wheat germ, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg; pour over dry ingredients along with bran mixture. Sprinkle with apricots; stir just until combined but still lumpy.
Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven until tops are firm to the touch, 18 to 20 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine, June 2002