Yesterday, Oprah announced she and 378 Harpo staffers are taking a one-week vegan challenge:
Oprah and some members of her staff recently took on a radical challenge: to go vegan for one week. That meant no meat, no fish, no milk, no eggs—nothing that comes from an animal—for seven full days. - oprah.comThis isn't shocking news, considering the raging success of Skinny Bitch vegan books, Chelsea Clinton's vegan wedding last year, and Michael Pollan enlightening (dare I say, "enchanting") us all with his eat-more-veggies-and-save-the-world wonderbooks.
Inspired by Oprah? Here are my favourite Canadian Living vegan recipes: Some of the best meals of my life have been vegan. There is nothing bland or boring about vegan fare, unless you're being lazy and taking shortcuts. Tofu sandwiches on white bread with mustard, for instance. (Yes, I was a defiant vegetarian youth who ate a lot of tofu sandwiches on white bread with mustard.) Stick-to-your-ribs vegan main courses can be hard to find. I've made each of these personally and vouch for their ease of preparation and tastiness.
- Tofu and Broccoli in Peanut Sauce - I loooove peanut sauce. I also quadruple the hot spice in this recipe.
- Fragrant Chickpeas with Dates - I like to add any nuts I have on hand. This makes a great lunch the next day warmed up in the microwave.
- Black Bean, Chickpea, and Avocado Salad - Made with zippy lime-jalapeno dressing, I like dipping a slice of bread into the juices.
- Korean Cold Somen Noodle Salad - This is CRAZY DELICIOUS. I made it working on another project, and would never have considered it otherwise. It is now one of my all-time favourite recipes.
- Biryani-Inspired Vegetable Rice - The addition of green lentils gives you protein in this flavourful Indian classic.
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Caps - A classic vegan staple, marinated in balsamic vinegar.
- Tofu-Stuffed Eggplant with Mushroom Ragout - Bring this to a vegan dinner party. It's as beautiful as it is delicious. This recipe won the Vegetarian category of our 2008 Cook of the Year contest.