Baked Cod Greek-Style
This recipe makes 4 servings
- Portion size: 4
Our easy fish casserole is adapted from Rose Murray's Secrets of the Sea (Grosvenor House, 1989).
- 1 lb 1lbcod filletcod fillets, thawed
- 3 tbsp 3tbspall purpose flour, (approx)
- 2 tbsp 2tbspolive oil
- 1 cup 1cupcrumbled feta cheese, (about 1/4 lb/125 g)
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 3 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1sweet green peppersweet green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) 1can (19 oz/540 mL)tomatotomatoes, (undrained)
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuppitted black olives
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried oregano
- 1 pinch 1pinchhot pepper flakes
- 1 pinch 1pinchgranulated sugar
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
Cut cod into serving-size portions. Pat dry. Dredge lightly in flour. In large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown cod lightly on both sides and arrange in 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish. Sprinkle with feta.
Pour remaining oil into skillet; cook onion, garlic and green pepper, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes; crush with fork and stir in olives, oregano, pepper flakes and sugar. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
Add parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste; spoon over fish. (Dish can be made ahead, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hours. Add 5 minutes to baking time.) Bake uncovered in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 15 minutes or until bubbly.