Baked Rigatoni and Meatballs
This recipe makes 10 servings
|Per each of 10 servings: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
- Portion size: 8 to 10
The meatballs take a little time to prepare, but they boost this pasta dish to a deliciously flavourful meal.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1carrotcarrots, finely chopped
- 1 1celery stalkcelery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 cups 3cupssliced mushroommushrooms
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspdried basil
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tsporegano
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 2 can 2cantomatotomatoes
- 2 tbsp 2tbsptomato paste
- 1 tbsp 1tbspbalsamic vinegar
- 4 cups 4cupsrigatoni pasta
- 2 cups 2cupsshredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgrated parmesan cheese Meatballs:
- 1 1eggeggs
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupgrated onion
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupgrated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried oregano
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1 lb 1lblean ground pork
Meatballs: In large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper; mix in pork. Shape by 1 tbsp (15 mL) into balls. Bake on greased rimmed baking sheet in 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes or until digital instant-read thermometer inserted into several registers 160°F (81°C).
Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; saut?nion, garlic, carrot, celery, mushrooms, red pepper, basil, oregano, salt and pepper until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Push to side of pan.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste, coarsely mashing tomatoes and stirring to combine. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add meatballs and balsamic vinegar; simmer until thickened, 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 8 minutes. Drain and add to sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to greased 12-cup (3 L) oval baking dish. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Add 10 minutes to baking time.)
Sprinkle with provolone and Parmesan cheeses. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2007