A puff gossamer served with a flourish -- now that's a souffle! This dark one certainly deserves the ohhs and ahhs it will get.
2 oz (60 g) unsweetened chocolate
2 tbsp (2 mL) butter
4 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp (I mL) cream of tartar
2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (25 mL ) hazelnut liqueur, rum or strong coffee
1 tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar or unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream, whipped (optional)
Click here to see step-by-step images.
1. Fold 24-inch (60 cm) long piece of foil in half lengthwise; generously butter 3-inch (8 cm) strip lengthwise along I edge. Wrap around outside of 6- to 7-inch (1. 175 to 1.5 L) souffle dish (one that has side perpendicular to base) with buttered strip facing in and extending above rim; secure with string.
2. Chop chocolate coarsely. In bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with butter, stirring occasionally.
3. In separate bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the granulated sugar, 2 tbsp (25 mL) at a time, until stiff peaks form; set aside.
4. In another bowl, beat egg yolks with remaining granulated sugar for about 5 minutes or until thickened and mixture falls in ribbon when beaters are lifted. Add chocolate mixture and liqueur; beat until thoroughly blended.
5. Fold one-quarter of the egg whites into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Scrape into prepared dish. (Make-ahead: Soufflé can be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 1 hour.)
6. Place dish on baking sheet. Bake in lower third of 375F (190C) oven for about 35 minutes or until puffed and almost firm to the touch. Cut string; remove foil. Dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately. Pass whipped cream separately (if using).
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: about 234 cal, 5 g pro, 12 g total fat (6 g sat fat), 29 g carb, 2 g fibre, 153 mg chol, 82 mg sodium. % RDI: 2% calcium 8% iron, 10% vit A, 6% folate.
Variation: Mini Chocolate Soufflés: Use six 3-1/2-inch (150 mL) ramekins instead of soufflé dish; use 12- x 6-inch (30 x 15 cm) piece of foil for each, buttering 2-inch (5 cm) strip. Reduce baking time to about 25 minutes.
Page 1 of 1