We took on the challenge of creating a no–trans fat pastry, which meant cutting out shortening. It wasn't as easy as replacing the shortening with butter; we had to adjust the amounts of liquid, butter and flour and revise the rolling-out method to create a crust you'll want to use for all your summer fruit pies. Don't miss our 3-minute video - Perfect Pie Pastry - to watch us roll out a flawless double-crusted pie crust.
1 egg yolk
1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
4 cups (1 L) chopped rhubarb (1 inch/2.5 cm)
2 cups (500 mL) quartered strawberries
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
2-1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) cold butter, cubed
1/3 cup (75 mL) ice water (approx)
Click here for step-by-step instructions with images.
1. Pastry: In large bowl, whisk flour with salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces.
2. Stirring briskly with fork, drizzle ice water over flour mixture until pastry holds together, sprinkling dry spots with more water, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, if necessary. Divide pastry in half; press into discs.
3. On generously floured surface, roll out 1 pastry disc to scant 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Roll around rolling pin; unroll over 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate, gently pressing dough to fit. Trim, leaving 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang.
4. Roll out remaining pastry for top to scant 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness; transfer to rimless baking sheet. Refrigerate pastry top and pie shell until firm, about 1 hour.
5. Filling: In large bowl, toss together rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and flour; scrape into pie shell. Moisten edge of pie shell; cover with pastry top. Trim, leaving 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang; fold overhang under pastry rim. Seal and flute edge. Whisk egg yolk with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut 4 steam vents in centre.
6. Place foil-lined baking sheet to catch drips on bottom rack of 425°F (220°C) oven. Place pie on rack above; bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C); bake until golden and filling is bubbly, 55 to 70 minutes, shielding edge with foil if browning too quickly. Let cool on rack.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: about 481 cal, 6 g pro, 23 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 65 g carb, 3 g fibre, 93 mg chol, 292 mg sodium. % RDI: 7% calcium, 18% iron, 22% vit A, 30% vit C, 29% folate.
Substitution: To use cake-and-pastry flour instead of all-purpose, use 2-3/4 cups (675 mL) sifted cake-and-pastry flour. Increase water to 1/2 cup (125 mL).