The bright colour and tart flavour of red currants are harmoniously balanced by slivered almonds and almond flavouring. Half of the currants can be replaced by raspberries, if desired.
- Portion size 1 serving
- Pastry for 10-inch double-crust pie
- 3/4 cups toasted blanched slivered almonds
- 4 cups stemmed red currants
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg whites (or 1 tbsp/15 mL light cream)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry and fit into 10-inch (25 cm) pie plate. Scatter almonds over pie shell.
In bowl, mix red currants, sugar, flour and almond extract; spread over almonds. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry and fit over top; trim and flute edges.
Glaze: Mix egg white with sugar; brush over pastry. Cut 4 steam vents in top.
Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 30 to 40 minutes longer or until pastry is golden and filling bubbling.