The taste of port pairs nicely with this dense and delicious torte.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2005
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2/3 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnut halves
- 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons amaretto liqueur Frangelico or brandy (or dash almond extract)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnut halves
Grease 8-inch (2 L) springform pan; set aside.
In large heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate, cream and butter, stirring occasionally.
In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. Fold in nuts. Scrape into prepared pan. Bake in centre of 275°F (140°C) oven until centre is firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Turn out onto serving plate; let cool. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
Cream Topping: In bowl, whip cream, amaretto and sugar. Spoon onto each serving of torte. Garnish with walnuts.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 97 mg
- Protein 8 g
- Calories 556.0
- Total fat 44 g
- Cholesterol 142 mg
- Saturated fat 21 g
- Total carbohydrate 32 g
- Iron 14.0
- Folate 15.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 23.0