Pumpkin purée keeps these cute cakes moist and gives them a rich flavour. Freeze any leftover pumpkin in resealable plastic bags and break off pieces to add to smoothies or stir into curries.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2013
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter softened, or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch each nutmeg and ground allspice
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 7 tablespoons orange juice
- orange paste food colouring
- 6 licorice twists or large pretzels, cut in 1-inch pieces (2.5 cm) pieces
- assorted candies and black licorice
In bowl, beat sugar with butter; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in oil until fluffy. Beat in pumpkin purée until smooth.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt, nutmeg and allspice; stir into pumpkin mixture. Scoop into 12 greased and floured mini Bundt moulds; tap pan on counter to level.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until cake tester inserted in centre of several comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.
Orange Glaze: In bowl, whisk icing sugar with 3 tbsp of the orange juice until crumbly; whisk in remaining orange juice until smooth. Whisk in enough food colouring to tint as desired.
Holding bottoms and using pastry brush, brush glaze around edges and tops of cakes. Place on rack over baking sheet, letting excess glaze drip off.
Insert 1 piece green licorice into top of each cake for stem; let stand until set, about 15 minutes. Using remaining glaze, attach candies and licorice as desired to make jack-o'-lantern faces.
Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutritional facts without candies : about
- Fibre 1 g
- Sodium 180 mg
- Sugars 47 g
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 342.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Potassium 104 mg
- Cholesterol 38 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 61 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 13.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 28.0
- Vitamin C 7.0