Strawberries are forever linked with early summer. That's when you bite into a perfect red berry to meet its gush of sweetness. No wonder they star in special events -- weddings, graduations and alfresco socials. When they're matched with cake and whipped cream, you have a dessert worthy of celebration.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : © CanadianLiving.com
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 cups sifted cake and pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups sliced Strawberries
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 5 Strawberries
1. In saucepan, heat milk and butter over medium heat until melted. Stir in rind. Keep warm. In bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Separate 3 of the eggs, reserving yolks. In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, until soft peaks form.
2. In separate bowl, beat together egg yolks, remaining eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes or until light coloured and thick enough that batter leaves ribbons on surface for 3 seconds when beaters are lifted.
3. Working from centre to edge with rubber spatula, fold whites into yolk mixture until combined. Sift dry ingredients over top; fold in until combined. Make well in centre; pour in milk mixture and fold in.
4. Spread batter in 15- x 11-inch (40 x 25 cm) rimmed parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for about 12 minutes or until golden and cake springs back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack.
5. Filling: In bowl, whip cream with sugar and vanilla. Cut cake crosswise into thirds. With flat metal spatula, transfer one of the thirds to flat serving plate. Spread with half of the whipped cream, then half of the strawberries.
6. Top with second cake layer; spread with remaining cream, then berries. Top with last cake layer. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Garnish: To serve, sprinkle with icing sugar. Garnish with whole berries.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 129 mg
- Protein 4 g
- Calories 248.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Cholesterol 133 mg
- Saturated fat 8 g
- Total carbohydrate 26 g
- Iron 7.0
- Folate 9.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 18.0
- Vitamin C 53.0