This cake doesn't have the regular fruitcake staying power and should be eaten within a week. If you can't find the individually packaged candied citron, lemon and orange peel, use 1 lb 2 oz (560 g) candied mixed peel.
- Portion size 20 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2009
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 cups sifted cake-and-pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups total sultana raisins and/or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup candied citron
- 1/2 cup candied lemon peel
- 1/2 cup candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped glacé pineapple
- 1/4 cup red glacé cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricot
- 2/3 cups blanched slivered almonds
- 2/3 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup brandy (approx)
MethodCandied Fruit: In large bowl, combine raisins, citron, lemon and orange peels, pineapple, cherries, apricots, almonds and coconut. Add brandy, tossing well to combine. Cover and let stand for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in almond extract. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in water. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, mace and salt; stir into butter mixture. Stir in fruit, scraping in all liquid. Scrape into double-thickness parchment paper–lined 8-inch (2 L) fruitcake pan or 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan, smoothing top.
Set shallow pan on bottom rack of 275°F (140°C) oven; pour in enough water to come halfway up side. Bake cake on centre rack until firm to the touch and tester inserted in centre comes out clean, covering with foil during last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary, about 3 hours. Let cool in pan on rack.
Remove cake from pan; peel off paper. Using skewer, poke holes in top; brush with brandy if desired. Wrap in plastic wrap then foil; refrigerate for 24 hours or for up to 1 week.
Nutritional facts Per piece: about
- Sodium 67 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 285.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Potassium 244 mg
- Cholesterol 37 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 45 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 7.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 8.0
- Vitamin C 7.0