Black and Red Fruit Salad
This recipe makes 6 servings
- Portion size: 6
Full of wonderful summer-fresh flavour, this salad is delicious served with berry sherbet, vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. If you can't find some of these fruits, increase the remaining varieties accordingly.
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupgranulated sugar
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupwater
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuporange juice
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcoarsely grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupblack currantblack currants, topped and tailed
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsblackberryblackberries or black raspberries
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsblueberryblueberries
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupssweet cherrysweet cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupstemmed red currantred currants
In saucepan, combine sugar, water, orange juice and rind; bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes. Add black currants to pan; poach for 2 minutes or until softened. Using slotted spoon, remove black currants to large serving bowl. Let syrup cool slightly.
Add blackberries, blueberries, cherries and red currants to bowl. Pour in syrup and toss gently to mix. Cover and refrigerate until chilled or overnight.