Caramel Pecan Bars
This recipe makes 72 servings
- Portion size: 72
- 1 cup 1cupbutter, softened
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuppacked brown sugar
- 1 tsp 1tspvanilla
- 2 cups 2cupsall-purpose flour Caramel Filling:
- 1-1/3 cups 1-1/3cupspacked brown sugar
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupwhipping cream
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupcorn syrup
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupbutter
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupschopped pecanpecans Topping:
- 10 oz 10ozsemisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupbutter
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupwhipping cream
- 1 cup 1cuppecan halves
In bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Blend in flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time. Pat into lightly greased 15- x 10-inch (40 x 25 cm) jelly roll pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden. Let pan cool on rack.
Caramel Filling: In saucepan, cook sugar, cream, corn syrup and butter over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened and 230°F (110°C) on candy thermometer (thread stage). Remove from heat; stir in chopped pecans. Spread evenly over base. Let cool completely.
Topping: In top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water, melt chocolate, butter and cream, stirring occasionally. Spread evenly over filling. Let cool for 15 minutes. Score into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) squares; press pecan half into each square. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. (Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week.) Cut into squares.
Source : © CanadianLiving.com