Carrot Ginger Cupcakes
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Total time : 1 hour
- Portion size: 12 cupcakes
|Per cupcake: about||-|
|total fat||16 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
|dietary fibre||1 g|
A double dose of ginger (ground and crystallized) brings these moist, carrot-filled cupcakes to life – and a swirl of cream cheese icing takes them over the top! If you like, garnish each cupcake with chopped crystallized ginger.
- 1-1/3 cups 1-1/3cupsall-purpose flour
- 1 tsp 1tspbaking powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspbaking soda
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspground ginger
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 pinch 1pinchcinnamon
- 2 2eggeggs
- 2/3 cup 2/3cuppacked brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupvegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspvanilla
- 1-1/3 cups 1-1/3cupsshredded carrot
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupfinely diced crystallized ginger Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupcream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupunsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspvanilla
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsicing sugar
In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla; stir in carrot and crystallized ginger. Pour over flour mixture; stir to combine.
Divide batter among 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake in 350ºF (180ºC) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.
Cream Cheese Icing: In bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth; beat in icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth. Spread or pipe over each cupcake.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2012