Crispy Valentine Pops
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Total time : 2 hours
- Portion size: 24 pieces
This recipe makes 24 pieces servings
|Per piece: about||-|
|sat. fat||1 g|
This version of the classic rice cereal treat is made with maple syrup, a natural sweetener. The pops can be cut into other shapes for different celebrations, but they'll all need candy sticks. For transporting and handing out on Valentine's Day, package each in a lollipop bag and tie with a ribbon.
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupbrown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupmaple syrup
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupunsalted butter
- 1 tsp 1tspvanilla
- 5 cups 5cupsrice crisp cereal
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdried cranberrydried cranberries
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdried cherries
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupwhite chocolate coating wafers, (such as Merckens)
- 1 tbsp 1tbsppink or red decorating sugar
In Dutch oven, bring rice syrup, maple syrup and butter to boil; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until as thick as corn syrup, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in vanilla. Stir in cereal, cranberries and cherries. Press firmly into parchment paper–lined 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) cake pan. Let cool.
Using 2-1/2-inch (6 cm) heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out shapes. In microwaveable bowl, microwave white chocolate on high, stirring halfway through, until melted, about 45 seconds. Dip 1 end of each candy stick into chocolate to coat 1/2 inch (1 cm); insert dipped end halfway into bottom of heart.
Drizzle chocolate over hearts; sprinkle with sugar. Let stand until set, about 5 minutes. (Make-ahead: Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2013