Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Total time : 3 hours
- Portion size: 12 servings
This recipe makes 12 servings
|per serving: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
|dietary fibre||4 g|
Decadent little chocolate cakes with rich molten cores are enough to make any meal special. The batter for this dessert can be prepared ahead, but the cakes are best eaten immediately after baking, so don't put them into the oven until your guests are ready for dessert. If you're making this on an occasion when you can eat dairy, try the Flourless Chocolate Lava Cakes variation.
- 12 oz 12ozchopped kosher pareve bittersweet chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, such as Lieber
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupkosher pareve margarine, cubed
- 1 1vanilla pod, seeded (discard pod)
- 2 cups 2cupsgranulated sugar
- 6 6eggeggs
- 6 6egg yolkegg yolks
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupkosher pareve cocoa powder, (such as Ghiradelli), sifted
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 12 oz (340 g) 12oz (340 g)strawberrystrawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 dash 1dashKosher nondairy whipped topping, (optional)
In heatproof bowl or top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with margarine, stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla seeds. Remove from heat.
Whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks, 1 at a time. Whisk in cocoa powder and salt. Pour into 12 greased ramekins; place on rimmed baking sheet. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours; add 5 minutes to baking time.)
Bake in 425ºF (220ºC) oven until edges are set and centres are slightly jiggly when tapped, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 3 minutes. Run knife around edges and turn out onto plates. Garnish with strawberries, and whipped topping, if using.
Flourless Chocolate Lava Cakes: Substitute butter for margarine, and whipping cream (35%) for whipped topping.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2013