Date and Prune Squares
This recipe makes 30 squares servings
|Per square: about||-|
|total fat||5 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Preparation time: 15 minutes Stand: 20 minutes
- Cook time : 35 minutes
- Total time : PT50M
- Portion size: 30 squares
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupschopped pitted dates
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupschopped pitted prunes
- 1 cup 1cupboiling water
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspcinnamon
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspnutmeg
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupslarge-flake rolled oats
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupsall-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuppacked brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspbaking soda
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupunsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp 2tbspcold water
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped almonds
In bowl, combine dates, prunes and boiling water; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mash with fork until smooth.
In food processor, pulse together oats, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda until oats are chopped, 5 to 10 pulses. Pulse in butter until crumbly; pulse in cold water until mixture comes together. Press two-thirds into 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) parchment paper–lined metal cake pan; spread with date mixture.
Toss remaining oat mixture with almonds; sprinkle over date mixture, pressing lightly.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until light golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack before cutting into squares.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2010