Date and Raisin Squares
This recipe makes 16 servings
- Portion size: 16
- 2 cups 2cupschopped datedates
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsraisinraisins
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupgranulated sugar
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcoarsely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuporange juice
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
- 1 cup 1cupall purpose flour
- 1 tsp 1tspbaking soda
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 2-1/2 cups 2-1/2cupsrolled oats, not instant
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuppacked brown sugar
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupbutter, melted
- 2 tsp 2tspvanilla
In saucepan, bring dates, raisins, sugar, orange rind and juice and 1 -1/2 cups water to boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until mixture is thick enough to mound on spoon, about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; let cool.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add rolled oats and brown sugar; blend evenly. Combine melted butter and vanilla; drizzle over oats mixture. Toss to moisten dry ingredients evenly.
Press half of the rolled oats mixture into greased 9-inch (23 cm) square metal cake pan. Evenly spread date filling over base. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs; press lightly.
Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until topping is golden brown and firm, about 40 minutes. Let cool on rack. Cut into 16 squares. (Make-ahead: Layer squares between waxed paper in airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.)