Photography by Frank Grant
2/4 lb (375 g) Smarties
2 pkg (each 100g) multi-coloured jelly beans
1 pkg (4 oz/113g) cinnamon hearts
1 pkg (4oz/113g) multi-coloured candy shot
2 pkg (each 4pz/113 g) red and green sugar sprinkles
1 jar (2 oz/50 g) silver dragées
12 green gumdrops
12 mini candy canes
12 gummy bear candies
12 licorice Allsorts
1 pkg (200g) peppermints
1 pkg (250 g coloured mini marshmallows
1 pkg (200g) spearmint leaves
other candies, as desired
5 sturdy paper plates
Waxed paper and plastic wrap
10 Popsicle sticks
5 paper cups
2 sq m (20 square feet) tinted cellophane
5 m ribbon
Preparing for the party
Several days before:
- Prepare Gingerbread Dough
- While dough chills, cut out waxed paper pattern pieces (click here to download a pdf of gingerbread house pattern pieces)
- Bake gingerbread pieces; store in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks.
- Make Royal Icing; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Just before the party:
- Protect table with plastic or disposable cover. Set out a waxed paper place mat for each child.
- Assemble kit for each child consisting of one house base, two sides, one front and one back cookie piece. (Reserve roof pieces to give out once walls have dried.) Place kits on paper plates and set at each place.
- Divide Royal Icing among paper cups; cover with plastic wrap and set out at each place, along with two Popsicle sticks.
- Place candy decorations in bowls in centre of table.
- Cut ribbon lengths and 60 cm (2-foot) squares of tinted cellophane to wrap finished gingerbread houses in, so the can be carried home.
- Have damp cloths and paper towels available for wiping hands.