This recipe makes 8 servings
- Portion size: 8
- 10 oz 10ozsemisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupinstant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupboiling water
- 2 tbsp 2tbspunsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 4eggeggs
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupsugar
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupswhipping cream Crust:
- 1 cup 1cupchocolate cookie crumbs
- 2 tbsp 2tbspbutter, melted Garnish:
- 1 oz 1ozwhite chocolate, melted
- 1 oz 1ozsemisweet chocolate, melted
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Crust: Line side of 7-inch (1.5 L) springform with parchment paper; set aside. Stir cookie crumbs with butter; pat onto bottom of pan. Bake in centre of oven for about 7 minutes or until firm. Let cool on rack.
In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling water), melt semisweet chocolate, stirring occasionally; let cool to room temperature. In separate bowl, whisk together coffee granules, boiling water and cocoa; set aside. In large heatproof bowl over saucepan of simmering water, beat eggs with sugar for 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce speed to low; beat in coffee mixture and melted chocolate. Let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
In another bowl, whip cream; fold one-quarter into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream. Pour over crust, smoothing top.
Garnish: Pipe or drizzle white chocolate decoratively over top. Garnish with semisweet chocolate. Freeze for at least 6 hours or until firm. (Make-ahead: Semifreddo can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in rigid airtight container for up to 1week.)
Partially thaw in refrigerator for 1 hour before unmoulding to serve.