Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Squares
This recipe makes 36 squares servings
|Per square: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time : 45 minutes Chill: 2 hours
- Total time : PT55M
- Portion size: 36 squares
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsgraham wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuppacked brown sugar
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupbutter, melted
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspground ginger
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground cloves
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt Cheesecake:
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupsroasted pumpkin purée or roasted squash purée, (see Perfect Puree, below)
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspcinnamon
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground ginger
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupwhipping cream
- 2 pkg (8 oz/250 g each) 2pkg (8 oz/250 g each)cream cheese, softened
- 4 4eggeggs
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspvanilla
In bowl, stir together graham wafer crumbs, sugar, butter, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt until moistened. Press onto bottom and up sides of parchment paper–lined 8-inch (2 L) square metal cake pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Cheesecake: In saucepan, stir together pumpkin purée, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt; cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in whipping cream. Transfer to bowl and let cool.
In large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in vanilla. Beat one-quarter into pumpkin mixture; return to cream cheese mixture and beat until incorporated. Pour over crust.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until edges are set and browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on rack. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Cut into squares.
Make this pumpkin pie even more special with fresh pumpkin purée made from local pumpkins. Click here to learn how.
Additional information : Perfect Puree
When choosing a cooking pumpkin, look for sugar pumpkins. These little gourds are firmer and sweeter than those grown for jack-o'-lanterns. The roasting time will vary depending on the size and age of the pumpkin or squash.
Halve and seed pumpkin or squash. Prick skin all over with fork. Roast, cut side down, on rack on foil-lined baking sheet in 350°F (180°C) oven until flesh is browned and tender, 60 to 75 minutes. Let cool. Scoop out flesh and puree in food processor. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 48 hours or freeze for up to 3 weeks.
2 lb (1 kg) sugar pumpkin yields about 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) puree.
2 lb (1 kg) butternut squash yields about 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) puree.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2010