Spring Celebration Cake
This recipe makes 12 portions servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||14 g|
|sat. fat||9 g|
- Portion size: 12
Light-as-a-cloud cake finishes an Easter meal with style and lots of fresh fruit. Vary the fruit - try raspberries, peaches, plums, mangoes, pineapple or star fruit — as the seasons change.
- 1-1/4 cup 1-1/4cupsifted cake and pastry flour
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsgranulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsegg whiteegg whites, (about 11)
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplemon juice
- 1 tsp 1tspcream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 2 tbsp 2tbspgrated orange rind
- 2 tsp 2tspvanilla Fruit Topping
- 2 cups 2cupshalved strawberrystrawberries
- 1 cup 1cupblueberryblueberries
- 3 3peeled and thinly sliced kiwifruit
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgranulated sugar Orange Cream
- 2 cups` 2cups`whipping cream
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuporange flavoured liqueur
- 1 tbsp 1tbspicing sugar
Into bowl, sift flour with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the sugar; sift again into second bowl and set aside. In large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add lemon juice, cream of tartar and salt ; beat until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 2 tbsp (25 mL) at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form. Sift flour mixture over top, one-quarter at a time, gently folding in after each addition until blended. Fold in orange rind and vanilla.
Pour into ungreased 10-inch (4 L) tube pan. Run spatula through batter to eliminate any large air pockets; smooth top. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Invert pan; leat stan on legs attached to pan, or set on bottle or funnel, until completely cool. Transfer to serving platter. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.)
Fruit Topping: In bowl, gently toss together strawberries, blueberries, kiwifruit and sugar; let stand for 15 minutes.
Orange Cream: Whip cream with liqueur and icing sugar; spread over cake, spilling some over top.
Additional information :
Orange Juice Cream: Substitute orange juice concentrate for the liqueur in the Orange Cream.