Upside-Down Buttermilk Pear Cake
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Total time : 1-1/2 hours
- Portion size: 12
This recipe makes 12 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||13 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
|dietary fibre||2 g|
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuppacked brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupunsalted butter
- 2 tsp 2tsplemon juice
- 3 3firm ripe pearpears, (about 1-1/4 lb/565 g) Buttermilk Cake:
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupunsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupgranulated sugar
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuppacked brown sugar
- 2 2eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1tspvanilla
- 1-1/3 cups 1-1/3cupsall-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspbaking powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspbaking soda
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupbuttermilk
In saucepan over medium heat, cook brown sugar, butter and lemon juice, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Scrape into greased and parchment paper–lined 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan.
Peel, core and halve pears; cut each half into about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick wedges. Arrange wedges, overlapping slightly, in pan.
Buttermilk Cake: In large bowl, beat butter with granulated and brown sugars until fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk. Pour over pears, smoothing to edges of pan.
Bake in 350ºF (180ºC) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate; remove parchment paper.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2012