Winter Fruit Kompot
This recipe makes 16 servings servings
- Portion size: 12 to 16
A medley of poached dried fruits — apricots, prunes, raisins, apples, peaches and pears — is handsome in a tall glass pitcher or crystal bowl. Although not traditional, a splash of brandy added to the mixture is delicious and compatible with the festive spirit.
- 1 lb 1lbdried apricotdried apricots
- 1 lb 1lbmixed dried fruit
- 1/2 lb 1/2lbpitted pruneprunes
- 1 cup 1cupgolden raisingolden raisins
- 1 1sliced lemonlemons
- 2 2cinnamon stickcinnamon sticks
- 5 5whole cloves
- 10 cups 10cupswater
- 1 cup 1cupgranulated sugar
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupbrandy or orange liqueur, optional
Place all dried fruits, lemon, cinnamon and cloves in a nonaluminum saucepan. Add water; cover and let stand for 4 hours or overnight.
Add sugar, bring to boil and simmer, covered, until fruit is tender, about 10 minutes. Taste, adding more sugar if desired. Let cool slightly and add spirits if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.