Barley Lentil Soup
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Omit the yogurt for a vegan soup - a stellar warm-up on a chilly day.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1large carrotcarrots, chopped
- 1 stalk 1stalkcelery, chopped
- 1 tsp 1tspdried thyme
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 4 cups 4cupsvegetable stock
- 1 cup 1cupbrown lentils or green lentils
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppot barley
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley Topping
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplow-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp 1tbspminced fresh parsley
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, salt and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add stock, 2 cups (500 mL) water, lentils and barley; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; reheat.) Stir in chopped parsley.
Topping: Top each serving with yogurt; sprinkle with parsley.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2005