Beef Carpaccio with Arugula
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||20 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- Portion size: 8
This demonstrates how simple and flavourful a dish can be with just quality ingredients. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the cheese into curls.
- 2 tsp 2tspmustard seeds
- 2 tsp 2tspblack peppercornblack peppercorns
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspfennel seeds
- 1 lb 1lbbeef tenderloin premium oven roast
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupextra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups 8cupsbaby arugula leafbaby arugula leaves
- 2 tbsp 2tbspcapercapers, drained and rinsed
- 3 oz 3ozParmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 tsp 1tspsea salt or salt
- Lemon wedges
In spice grinder or mortar and pestle, pound mustard seeds, peppercorns and fennel seeds until coarsely crushed.
Place beef on waxed paper; roll in spice mixture to coat. In large heavy skillet, heat about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat until smoking; sear beef all over until spices are just browned, about 45 seconds per side. Refrigerate meat until cold. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 2-1/2 hours.
Using sharp carving knife, slice beef as thinly as possible. Divide arugula decoratively among plates. Divide beef over top. Sprinkle with capers, cheese and salt ; drizzle with remaining oil. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over top. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 hour.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2007