Beer Braised Beef
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||22 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
- Portion size: 4
- 2 lb 2lbbottom blade boneless pot roast, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) cubes
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 1 cup 1cupsodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 sliced 2slicedbacon, chopped
- 3 3oniononions, sliced
- 1 tbsp 1tbsppacked brown sugar
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupsbeer, dark or amber
- 2 2bay leafbay leaves
- 1 pinch 1pinchdried thyme
- 1 slice 1slicelight rye bread
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgrainy mustard or Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced fresh parsley
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat; brown beef, in batches. Remove to bowl.
Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the broth to pan, scraping up brown bits; add to bowl. Fry bacon; with slotted spoon, add to bowl.
Add remaining oil to pan; cook onions over medium heat, stirring often, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and vinegar until sugar is melted.
Add remaining stock, beer, bay leaves, thyme and 1 cup (250 mL) water, scraping up brown bits. Return beef mixture to pan; bring to boil.
Cut off bread crust; spread bread with mustard; float, mustard side down, on stew. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
Break up bread, stirring into sauce. Simmer, covered, until thickened and beef is tender, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Stir in parsley.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2009