Beer-Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total time : 8-1/4 hours
- Portion size: 10 to 12
This recipe makes 12 servings
|Per each of 12 servings: about||-|
|total fat||16 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
- 4 lb 4lbcorned beef brisketcorned beef brisket
- 2 tbsp 2tbspgrainy mustard
- 2 tbsp 2tbsppickling spice
- 2 2leekleeks
- 2 2carrotcarrots
- 2 2parsnipparsnips
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 2 2cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 4 cups 4cupssodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 oz/355 mL) 1bottle (12 oz/355 mL)dark beer or sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/2 1/2cabbage, thinly sliced
Rinse brisket and pat dry; place in slow cooker. Spread mustard over brisket; sprinkle with pickling spice.
Cut leeks, carrots and parsnips in half lengthwise; cut into about 4-inch (10 cm) lengths.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook leeks, carrots, parsnips, garlic and pinch each of the salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened and caramelized, about 6 minutes. Arrange over brisket.
Add beef broth, beer, remaining salt and pepper, and enough water to cover brisket by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
Add cabbage; cook until brisket is tender, about 3 hours.
Remove vegetables to serving platter and keep warm. Place brisket on cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 3 to 5 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain. Arrange with vegetables. Strain braising liquid; drizzle 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) over brisket and vegetables.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2011