Braised Cabbage with Apples and Sausages
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||33 g|
|sat. fat||11 g|
Serve with: Mashed potatoes. Cabbage — a member of the cruciferous family — is a tasty and inexpensive winter vegetable. It is very versatile because it can be eaten raw in salads, as a cooked vegetable or in soups and stews. Serve this dish with mustard.
- 2 tsp 2tspvegetable oil
- 4 4bratwurst sausagebratwurst sausages, (about 1-1/2 lb/750g)
- 2 2red-skinned appleapples, cored and sliced
- 6 cups 6cupsshredded cabbage, (about one-quarter head)
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupapple juiceapple juice
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgrainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcaraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspeach salt and pepper
In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown sausages. Remove to plate.
Drain fat from pan. Add apples; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add to plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add cabbage, apple juice, mustard, caraway seeds, salt and pepper to pan; toss to coat well. Sprinkle with reserved cooked apples; top with browned sausages.
Cover and cook until cabbage and apples are tender and sausages are no longer pink inside, about 15 minutes.