Braised Chicken and Bok Choy
This recipe makes 4 servings
- Portion size: 4
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 2 lb 2lbskinless chicken thighchicken thighs or chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchicken stock
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupsoy sauce
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgranulated sugar
- 3 3green oniongreen onions, thinly sliced
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 6 6thin slices gingerroot, (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspcinnamon
- Pinch Ground cloves
- Pinch Ground pepper
- 6 cups 6cupscoarsely chopped bok choy, (6 to 8 stalks bok choy) or baby bok choy, about 1 lb/500 g (1.5 L)
- 2 tsp 2tspcornstarch
In shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in batches if necessary. Spoon off fat.
Add stock, soy sauce, sugar, two-thirds of the onions, the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and pepper; bring to boil. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 25 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
Increase heat to high and return chicken mixture to boil. Stir in bok choy; cook for 2 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tsp water; add to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until thickened and bok choy is tender-crisp. Serve sprinkled with remaining green onions.