Brandy Peppercorn Chicken Liver Pâté
This recipe makes 25 1 tbsp. (15 mL) servings
|Per 1 tbsp (15 ml) : about||-|
|total fat||5 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 1-1/2 cups (375 mL)
Serve this smooth, classic hors d'oeuvre surrounded by crackers or Salt and Pepper Croûtes.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspwhite wine vinegar
- 2 2celery ribcelery ribs, chopped
- 8 8peppercorns
- 2 2bay leafbay leaves
- 8 oz 8ozsalted pork belly, cubed
- 8 oz 8ozchicken liverchicken livers
- 2 tbsp 2tbspolive oil
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped shallotshallots
- 1 tsp 1tspchopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcoarsely ground pepper
- 2 tbsp 2tbspbrandy
- 2 tbsp 2tbspwhipping cream
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt, (approx)
In saucepan, bring 6 cups (1.5 L) water, vinegar, celery, peppercorns and bay leaves to simmer. Add pork belly; poach until tender, about 1-1/2 hours. With slotted spoon, transfer pork to food processor.
Separate lobes of livers, removing any connective tissue and fat. Add chicken livers to saucepan; poach until slight trace of pink remains in centre of thickest part, about 5 minutes. Drain and add livers to pork belly in food processor.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook shallots, thyme and pepper until tender, about 8 minutes. Add to food processor.
Add brandy, cream and salt; pulse, scraping down side as necessary, until smooth. Season with more salt (if desired). Transfer to bowl(s); let cool. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature to serve.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2009