Brown Rice and Toasted Bean Salad
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||42 g|
|sat. fat||10 g|
- Portion size: 4
Toasting corn and beans brings out earthy flavours and transforms this dish into an exotic South American–style salad.
- 1 cup 1cupbrown rice, rinsed
- 1 cup 1cupfrozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 3large plum tomatoplum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 6green oniongreen onions
- 1 can (540 mL) 1can (540 mL)black beanblack beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspdried oregano
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspground cumin
- 3 cups 3cupsbaby arugula leafbaby arugula leaves
- 2/3 cup 2/3cuproasted pumpkin seedpumpkin seeds or sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupcrumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped cilantro Dressing:
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupextra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp 3tbsplime juice
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
Dressing: In bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
In saucepan, bring rice and 2 cups water to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until no liquid remains, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; fluff with fork.
Meanwhile, in cast-iron or other heavy skillet, toast corn over high heat, shaking pan, until fragrant and charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
In same skillet, cook tomatoes and onions, turning once, until softened and charred, about 3 minutes. Let cool on cutting board; cut into small chunks and add to bowl.
Add black beans, oregano and cumin to skillet; cook until beans are dry and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add to bowl. Stir in rice, arugula and pumpkin seeds.
Add dressing, feta cheese and cilantro; toss to coat.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2011