Canadian Maple-Glazed Doughnuts
This recipe makes 20 servings
|total fat||9 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
|per ball: (no sugar)||-|
|total fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 20 doughnuts
In cooking, a sponge is a batterlike mixture that becomes foamy. Here it makes lightweight but not airy doughnuts.
- 4 cups 4cupscanola oil or safflower oil or vegetable oil, for deep-frying, enough to submerge food
- Granulated sugar or icing sugar, (optional)
- 1 tsp 1tspgranulated sugar
- 1 cup 1cupwarm water
- 1 pkg (2-1/4 tsp/11 mL) 1pkg (2-1/4 tsp/11 mL)active dry yeast
- 1 cup 1cupall-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupbutter, softened
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupgranulated sugar
- 2 2eggeggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp 1tspvanilla
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 2-3/4 cups 2-3/4cupsall-purpose flour
- Maple Icing:
- 2 cups 2cupsicing sugar
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupmaple syrup
- 1 tsp 1tspmaple extract
- 4 tsp 4tspwater, (approx)
Sponge: In large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour to form smooth paste. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand until bubbly and stretchy, about 30 minutes.
Dough: In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla and salt, and beat in sponge. With wooden spoon, stir in flour to form sticky dough. Transfer to floured surface; knead for 8 minutes or until smooth and pliable. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until tripled in bulk, 1-1/2 hours.
Punch down dough. On floured surface, roll out to scant 1/2-inch (1 cm) thickness. Using 3-inch (8 cm) doughnut cutter or round cutter with 1-inch (2.5 cm) hole, cut out doughnuts. Transfer doughnuts and centres to floured baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, 1 hour.
In deep fryer, wok or deep saucepan, heat 2 inches (5 cm) oil until deep-fryer thermometer reads 350°F (180°C). Deep-fry 3 doughnuts (or 6 centres) at a time, turning once, until golden and puffed, 4 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Transfer to rack; let cool.
Maple Icing: Stir together icing sugar, maple syrup, maple extract and water, adding up to 1 tsp (5 mL) more water to make thick spreadable icing if necessary; spread over tops of doughnuts. Dust centres with sugar if desired. Makes about 20 doughnuts and 20 balls.