Chicken, Cheddar and Apple Sandwich
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 8
Around 11 a.m., tummies start growling in the cat between ski runs. What a treat to find these sandwiches in the cooler. The chefs wrapped this creamy sandwich filling in both soft tortilla shells and buns; either type of sandwich is satisfying.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried thyme
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried basil
- 3 3boneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 2 2stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 1Granny Smith appleGranny Smith apples, finely diced
- 1/2 1/2sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfinely diced red onionred onions
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupmayonnaise
- 8 8oval bunbuns
- 16 16slices old white Cheddar cheese, optional
- 2 cups 2cupspacked mixed salad greens
In bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, thyme and basil. Add chicken, turning to coat; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)
Transfer chicken to foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 18 minutes or until no longer pink inside; let cool and dice.
¡In large bowl, stir together chicken, celery, apple, red pepper, onion and mayonnaise until combined.
Cut buns in half horizontally. Top each bottom half with about 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the chicken mixture, 2 slices of the cheese and about 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the salad greens; sandwich with tops of buns.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2008