Chilled Zucchini Buttermilk Soup
This recipe makes 6 servings
- Portion size: 4-6
Peeling the zucchini makes this soup a pretty pale green, but you could leave the skin on for more nutrients if you don't mind the dark green specks.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 3 3large shallotshallots, thinly sliced
- 4 4(1-1/2 lb/740 g) zucchinizucchinis, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgrated lemon rind
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspwhite pepper or pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsreduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp 1tbspminced fresh dill
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupbuttermilk
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté shallots until softened, about 2 minutes.
Add zucchini, lemon rind, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until zucchini is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add broth and 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Add dill.
In blender, purée soup until smooth. Strain into large bowl. Let cool in refrigerator. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Whisk in buttermilk. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Source : August 2009