This recipe makes 6 servings
- Portion size: 4 to 6
- 8 oz 8ozchorizo sausagechorizo sausages, thinly sliced
- 6 oz 6ozcream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcornmeal
- 3 tbsp 3tbspsugar
- 4 4eggeggs
- 1 can (12 oz/341 ml) 1can (12 oz/341 ml)corn kernels, drained (or 1-1/2 cups/ 375 mL fresh or frozen)
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsshredded old Cheddar cheese, (6 oz/175 g)
- 6 6green oniongreen onions, sliced
- 1/2 1/2jalapeno pepperjalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp 1tspdried oregano
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
In skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until golden.
Meanwhile, in bowl, beat together cream cheese, cornmeal and sugar until smooth.
Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Stir in corn, 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese, onions, jalapeno pepper, oregano, salt and pepper.
Pour half of the egg mixture into greased 8-cup (2 L) casserole. Cover with three-quarters of the sausage. Pour remaining egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining sausage and cheese.
Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until light golden and set. Let cool for 5 minutes.