Chunky Gazpacho with Grilled Shrimp
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||12 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 4
This flavourful soup is a terrific way to use up tomatoes from your garden.
- 2 lb 2lbtomatotomatoes, (about 6)
- 1 cup 1cupdiced peeled seeded cucumber
- 1 cup 1cupdiced white onionwhite onions
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, diced
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplime juice
- 3 tbsp 3tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1tbspred wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 8 8jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
Using sharp knife, score X in bottom of each tomato. In large pot of boiling water, blanch tomatoes for 30 seconds. With slotted spoon, transfer each tomato to ice water; let cool completely. Peel off skins.
Halve tomatoes vertically; discard juice and seeds. Dice tomatoes; transfer to large bowl. Stir in cucumber, onion and red pepper.
In blender, blend together chopped garlic, 2 tbsp (25 mL) each of the lime juice and oil, vinegar, half of the salt and 3 cups (750 mL) of the tomato mixture until smooth.
Return blended mixture to bowl with remaining tomato mixture, stirring to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Meanwhile, in bowl, toss together shrimp, remaining lime juice, oil and salt, and pepper; let stand for 10 minutes.
Place shrimp on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once until pink, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve on soup.