Photography by Matthew Kimura
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Pper serving: about||-|
|total fat||4 g|
- Portion size: 8
Fresh, crisp and tangy coleslaw makes an ideal side dish for fried fish. The extra step of draining the shredded cabbage helps the coleslaw keep longer without getting watery.
- 8 cups 8cupsshredded cabbage
- 1-1/4 tsp 1-1/4tspsalt
- 3 cups 3cupsgrated carrotcarrots
- 1/2 1/2red onionred onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupwhite vinegar
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 4 tsp 4tspgranulated sugar
- 1 tsp 1tspdry mustard
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcelery seeds
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
In large bowl, toss cabbage with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the salt. In separate bowl, toss together carrots, onion and remaining salt. Let both stand for 1 hour.
In colander, drain cabbage. By handfuls, squeeze out excess moisture and return cabbage to bowl. Add undrained carrots and onion; toss to combine.
Whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, mustard and celery seeds; toss with cabbage mixture and parsley. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2009