Classic Italian Meatballs
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
It's delizioso! This classic Italian meatball recipe, served with a delectably spiced tomato sauce, brings your standard spaghetti-and-meatball dinner to another mouth-watering level.
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupfresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupwater
- 1 1eggeggs
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupgrated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb 1lblean ground beef
- 1 1oniononions, finely chopped
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 28 oz 28ozdiced tomatotomatoes
- 1 cup 1cupbeef stock
- 1 1zucchinizucchinis, grated
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried basil
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried oregano
In bowl, combine fresh bread crumbs with water; let stand until absorbed, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg, garlic, salt, pepper, cheese and parsley. Mix in beef. Roll by rounded tablespoonfuls into balls.
Brush large nonstick skillet with vegetable oil; heat over medium-high heat. Brown meatballs, in batches, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
Drain any fat from pan. Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, beef stock, zucchini, basil and oregano; simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 25 minutes. Return meatballs and any accumulated juices to pan; simmer, turning meatballs occasionally, until no longer pink inside and sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2003