Coconut Curry Shrimp
This recipe makes 4 servings
- Portion size: 4 main course or 8 appetizers
- 1 cup 1cupchopped oniononions
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupchopped sweet red peppersweet red peppers
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped gingerroot
- 3 3cloves garlic
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated limelimes, rind
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsphot pepper, flakes
- 2 tbsp 2tbspground almondalmonds
- 2 tsp 2tspground coriander
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tsppaprika
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspturmeric
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspblack mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetabIe oil
- 1-1/4 tsp 1-1/4tspsalt
- 1 cup 1cupcoconut milk
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplime juice
- 1 lb 1lbshrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/3 cups 1-1/3cupswhite basmati rice
- 2 tbsp 2tbsptoasted sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp 1tbspchopped fresh coriander
In blender or food processor, finely chop together onion, red pepper, ginger, garlic, lime rind and hot pepper flakes. Scrape down side of bowl. Add ground almonds, ground coriander, paprika and turmeric; blend until in paste. Set aside.
In large nonstick skillet, toast mustard seeds over medium?high heat, shaking pan constantly, for about 3 minutes or until seeds turn grey and pop. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add oil to skillet, swirling to coat; cook reserved paste over medium heat, stirring with flat wooden spatula and scraping bottom of pan, for 12 minutes or until paste is deep orange and separates into dry clumps.
Return mustard seeds to pan. Add 1 cup water and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt ; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain through fine-mesh sieve into bowl, pressing with rubber spatula to extract liquid. Wipe skillet clean. Return strained liquid to skillet.
Gently whisk coconut milk and lime juice into skillet until blended; bring to boil. Reduce heat and add shrimp; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or just until shrimp are pink.
Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring 2-2/3 cups water and remaining salt to boil; stir in rice. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork. To serve, spoon curry over rice. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and fresh coriander.