Cooking class: Party sandwiches
Cooking class: Party sandwiches
As old-fashioned but as delightful as trousseau teas, these pretty rolled pinwheel and layered finger sandwiches, bite-size triangles and open-faced squares are perfect for any spring party -- with or without tea!
Asparagus Smoked Salmon Pinwheels:
4 oz (125 g) light cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp (25 mL) light mayonnaise
3 horizontal slices sandwich loaf
6 oz (175 g) smoked salmon
3 cooked asparagus spears
Egg Salad Loaf:
6 hard-cooked eggs, mashed
1/3 cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise
1/4 cup (50 mL) each chopped fresh chives and sweet red pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) light sour cream
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
10 slices sandwich bread
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Fig Prosciutto Triangles:
6 dried figs or fresh strawberries
6 slices sandwich bread
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter, softened
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
8 slices prosciutto (6 oz/175 g)
Click here for step-by-step instructions with images.
1. Asparagus Smoked Salmon Pinwheels: Stir cheese with mayonnaise. Trim crusts from bread. With rolling pin, roll bread to flatten slightly. Spread with cheese mixture; top with salmon.
2. Place asparagus spear along short edge of each; trim if necessary and roll up. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 1 day. Slice each roll into 8 pieces. Makes 24 sandwiches.
3. Egg Salad Loaf: In bowl, stir eggs, 2 tbsp (25 mL) each of the mayonnaise and chives, the red pepper, sour cream, mustard and salt. Trim crusts from bread; spread half of the slices with egg mixture.
4. Top with remaining slices; cut diagonally into quarters. Stand 10 sandwiches side by side to form pyramid. Repeat to make 2 pyramids. Spread 1 side of each with remaining mayonnaise. Stir parsley with remaining chives; press onto mayonnaise to cover. Makes 20 sandwiches.
5. Fig Prosciutto Triangles: Remove stems from figs or hull strawberries; cut fruit into quarters. Trim crusts from bread; trim bread into squares. Spread with butter; sprinkle with pepper. Cut diagonally into quarters.
6. Cut prosciutto into 24 pieces; curl each and place on top of each triangle. Top with fig piece or strawberry. Makes 24 sandwiches.
7. Salmon Egg Ribbons: In bowl, mash 6 hard-cooked eggs; mix in 1/4 cup (50 mL) minced red pepper, 2 tbsp (25 mL) each light mayonnaise, sour cream and chopped fresh chives, 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard and pinch each salt and pepper.
In second bowl, mix 2 cans (7-1/2 oz/213 g each) salmon, drained, 2 tbsp (25 mL) each light mayonnaise and sour cream, 4 tsp (20 mL) chopped fresh dill, 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice and pinch pepper.
Spread salmon over 5 slices sandwich bread; spread egg over another 5 slices. Top egg layers with another 5 slices; stack on salmon layer. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 1 day. Trim crusts. Cut each stack in half; cut crosswise into thirds. Makes 30 sandwiches.
Pesto Goat Cheese and Pepper Pinwheels: Follow Asparagus Smoked Salmon Pinwheels. Stir 4 oz (125 g) soft goat cheese with 3 tbsp (50 mL) prepared pesto and substitute for cream cheese mixture. Omit salmon. Substitute half roasted red pepper, sliced, for asparagus.
Shrimp and Cucumber Squares: Stir 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise with 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped dill; set 3 tbsp (50 mL) aside. Trim crusts from 8 slices presliced pumpernickel bread; spread with mayonnaise mixture. Cut each into 4 squares. Top each with 2 slices cucumber and 2 cooked shrimp. Garnish with reserved dill mixture. Makes 32 pieces.
Asparagus Smoked Salmon Pinwheels per piece: about 55 cal, 3 g pro, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 6 g carb, trace fibre, 6 mg chol, 144 mg sodium. % RDI: 1% calcium, 3% iron, 1% vit A, 6% folate.
Egg Salad Loaf per piece: about 67 cal, 3 g pro, 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 6 g carb, trace fibre, 65 mg chol, 136 mg sodium. % RDI: 2% calcium, 4% iron, 4% vit A, 5% vit C, 8% folate.
Fig Prosciutto Triangles per piece: about 42 cal, 2 g pro, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 5 g carb, trace fibre, 6 mg chol, 129 mg sodium. % RDI: 1% calcium, 2% iron, 1% vit A, 3% folate.
Page 1 of 1