Sandwiches are perfect to tote in your picnic basket. Pick your favourite bread, add a spread and select one of your own tried-and-true fillings or one of our sumptuous suggestions.
Picnic sandwich spreads
Stir up a new take on the usual mayonnaise with these two variations. Or try some tapenade for a Mediterranean twist.
Pesto Mayo: In bowl whisk 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise with 3 tbsp (50 mL) prepared pesto. Makes about 3/4 cup (175 mL).
Herbed Mayo: In bowl whisk 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise with 2 tbsp (25 mL) each chopped fresh chives and basil. Makes about 2/3 cup (150 mL).
8 sumptuous picnic sandwiches
These combinations are hearty and flavourful and pack easily for a fun family picnic. Makes 4 sandwiches each.
• Fresh Reuben: Spread rye bread with 2 tbsp (25 ml) mustard. Layer with 12 oz (375 mL) sliced or shaved corned beef; 4 slices Swiss cheese; and 1 cup (250 mL) prepared coleslaw.
• Veggie Plus: Spread multigrain bread with 1/4 cup (50 mL) tapenade. Layer with 2 zucchini, sliced and grilled; and 4 oz (125 g) goat cheese, crumbled.
• Pesto Turkey and Cheese: Spread whole wheat Kaiser roll with 1/4 cup (50 mL) Pesto Mayo. Layer with 12 oz (375 g) sliced or shaved smoked turkey or chicken; 8 thin slices mozzarella cheese; and 1 tomato, sliced.
• Eggy Sprout: Spread torpedo bun with 1/4 cup (50 mL) Herbed Mayo. Layer with 8 hard-cooked eggs, sliced; 1 cup (250 mL) alfalfa sprouts; and 4 lettuce leaves.
• Tantalizing Tuna: On panini, layer 2 cans (each 6.5 oz/184 g) chunk light tuna, drained; 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped pitted black olives; 1 tbsp (15 mL) capers, drained and rinsed; and two green onions, sliced.
• Italian Delight: On sliced focaccia, layer 12 oz (375 g) sliced or shaved smoked turkey; 4 slices Gruyère cheese; quarted red onion, thinly sliced; and 8 arugula leaves. Drizzle 1/4 cup (50 mL) prepared Italian salad dressing over top.
• Rustic Ricotta: Spread crusty Calabrese bun with 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) ricotta cheese. Layer with 2 roasted red peppers, sliced; half bunch watercress leaves; and 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped pitted black olives.
• Afternoon Pick-Me-Up: Spread bagel with 2 tbsp (25 mL) mustard. Layer with 1 apple, sliced; 1 cup (250 mL) caramelized onions; 4 slices prosciutto ham; and 3 oz (90 g) Brie cheese, sliced.
|Click to see our Perfect Picnic menu featuring this Grilled Vegetable Torta and Chocolate Caramel Cookies for dessert.|
Page 1 of 1