Making Fresh Pasta
Photography by Matthew Kimura
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1. Mound flour on work surface; make well in centre. Add eggs and salt to well.
2. Using fork, beat eggs with salt. Starting from inside edge and working around well, gradually incorporate flour into egg mixture until soft dough forms. Scoop up and sift any flour left on work surface, discarding any bits of dough; set aside.
3. On clean lightly floured surface, knead dough for 10 minutes, working in enough of the sifted flour to make dough smooth and elastic. Cover with plastic wrap; let rest for 20 minutes. Divide into 3 pieces to make handling easier; cover.
4. On lightly floured surface, roll out one of the pieces into 5-inch (12 cm) long strip; dust with flour. Feed through widest setting of pasta machine rollers 4 times or until edges form smooth line, folding dough in half and lightly flouring after each pass through machine.
5. Set machine to next narrowest setting; run dough through once without folding. Repeat running dough through rollers until next-to-finest setting is reached, cutting dough in half if awkwardly long. Lightly flour dough; run through finest setting. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Using pasta rack or broomstick balanced between two chairs, hang dough until leathery but not dry, 15 to 20 minutes. (If dough dries, remove from rack and pat with damp cloth.)
7. Change setting from rolling to cutting position. Cut pasta into lengths of up to 10 inches (25 cm). Feed each length through cutter. (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour or refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.)
Hand-Rolled Fresh Pasta:
• Prepare dough as outlined in steps 1 and 2.
• Follow step 3 and let dough rest for 1 hour before rolling out each piece with rolling pin to 1/16-inch (1.5 mm) thickness, rotating dough often and lightly dusting with flour to prevent sticking.
• Follow step 6.
• Roll up dough jelly roll-style into flat roll about 4 inches (10 cm) wide. Using sharp knife, cut roll crosswise into 1/4-inch (5 mm) wide strips. Unroll strips.
• Cook 4 cups (1 L) trimmed fresh spinach until wilted. Drain and let cool; squeeze dry and chop finely to make about 1/3 cup (75 mL).
• Reduce eggs to 2. Add spinach to eggs and salt; mix well before incorporating flour.
• Add 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground saffron to eggs and salt; mix well before incorporating flour.
Fresh Basil Pasta:
• Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh basil to eggs and salt; mix well before incorporating flour.
More pasta links:
• All about pasta
Learn the ins and outs of cooking pasta, how much pasta to serve your crowd and how to match different pasta types to recipes.
• Pasta, please: 100+ pasta recipes
Enjoy rich aromas and robust flavours with our large selection of pasta recipes.
Page 1 of 1