Crown Roast of Pork with Mushroom Pilaf
This recipe makes 12 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||19 g|
|sat. fat||6 g|
- Portion size: 12
Stunning and festive, a crown roast of pork makes an elegant holiday entree. You'll need some of the mushroom soaking liquid from the Hot Mushroom Rice Pilaf (recipe link below), which adds great flavour to the gravy.
- 1 1pork loin rib half crown roast, (12 bones) about 6-1/2 lb/3 kg)
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupsodium-reduced chicken stock
- Hot Mushroom Rice Pilaf Dijon Herb Rub:
- 1 cup 1cupfresh parsley, leaves
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupDijon mustard
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
- 2 tsp 2tspdried thyme
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt
- 1 tsp 1tsppepper
- 2 2garlic clovegarlic cloves, minced Wine Gravy:
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupwhite wine
- 2 tbsp 2tbspall-purpose flour, or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupmushroom soaking liquid or low-sodium chicken stock
Hot Mushroom Rice Pilaf
Dijon Herb Rub: In food processor, whirl together parsley, mustard, oil, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper until paste. Sir in garlic. Rub all over pork, excluding bones. Place roast, bones up, on rack in roasting pan. Wrap bone ends in foil; stuff centre with foil ball. Pour stock into pan.
Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven until meat thermometer registers 160°F (71°C), 2-1/2 to 3 hours, adding up to 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water if necessary to maintain juices in pan. Transfer to serving platter and remove foil ball; tent with foil and let stand for 20 minutes.
Wine Gravy: Meanwhile, skim fat from pan juices. Place pan over medium heat. Pour in wine, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Whisk flour into mushroom soaking liquid; whisk into pan and cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Strain.
Spoon some of the pilaf into centre of roast. Transfer remainder to serving bowl. Carve roast between bones.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2006